BACHELOR OF COMMISSIONER SERVICE - 1999
1. Submission of an application as a candidate for the Bachelor's Degree, indicating
a. current registration as a member of a Commissioner staff or Service Team,
b. completion of Commissioners Basic Training and
c. signature of the District Commissioner or Service Team chairman.
2. Complete 7 hours of instruction from the list below:
- Course #BCS 100 - Plenary Session
- Course #BCS 101 - Introduction to Commissioner Science~Rich Dohrmann
- Course #BCS 102 - Unit Charter Renewal~
- Course #BCS 103 - The Commissioner and the District~
- Course #BCS 104 - Unit Visitation~
- Course #BCS 105 - Practical Solutions to Common Unit Needs~
- Course #BCS 106 - A Commissioner's Priorities~
- Course #BCS 108 - Effective Roundtables I~
- Course #BCS 109 - Effective Roundtables II~
- Course #BCS 110 - Program Session~
BCS 100 - PLENARY SESSION
BCS 101 - INTRODUCTION TO COMMISSIONER SCIENCE. An overview of commissioner
service and the single most important resource--The Commissioner Fieldbook.
BCS 102 - UNIT CHARTER RENEWAL. Review a proven plan for reregistering Scouting
units on time with minimal loss in membership and leaders. Learn the role of the
commissioner to facilitate and achieve on-time charter renewal.
BCS 103 - THE COMMISSIONER AND THE DISTRICT. Interaction of the commissioner
with the district executive and district committee. Understanding district and council
BCS 104 - UNIT VISITATION. Provides participants with insights on effective unit
visits, what to look for, and how to be a help -- not a hindrance.
BCS 105 - PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS TO COMMON UNIT NEEDS. Helps commissioners
understand how to respond to unit needs. Participants become familiar with Unit
Commissioner Worksheets and Commissioner Helps for Packs, Troops, and Posts.
BCS 106 - A COMMISSIONER'S PRIORITIES. Suggests the priorities for a unit
commissioner's Scouting time and energy, reviews steps in handling unit problems, and
covers the important Quality Unit Award.
BCS 108 - EFFECTIVE ROUNDTABLES I. Designed for roundtable commissioners and
roundtable staff members. Covers basic roundtable ingredients, planning cycle, and
BCS 109 - EFFECTIVE ROUNDTABLES II. Designed for roundtable commissioners and
roundtable staff members as a continuation of BCS 108. Covers promotion and publicity,
roundtable location, and a variety of morale builders.
BCS 110 - PROGRAM SESSION. (Choose 1) Advancement, Activities, Camping, and
Training. These sessions will help commissioners learn their role in helping units provide
an exciting and dynamic program at the unit, district and council levels.